Newborn Bloodspot Screening (NBS)
This online course is designed to provide learners with an overview of the newborn bloodspot screening (heel prick test) collection process in Queensland.
Topics covered include:
- what is newborn bloodspot screening and why it is important
- what conditions are detected from the NBS test
- indications and contraindications of bloodspot screening
- roles and responsibility
- how to perform a heel prick test and collect a quality sample
- how to submit samples for testing
Guides and other tools
NBS Clinical Skill Assesssment Tool (CSAT) - PDF 239KB, 4 pages
An assessment tool that is used to test the participant's competency to correctly perform a heel prick for the collection of blood for a Newborn Screen test.